Monday, November 19, 2012

Roman Holiday- Indian Holiday

    One of my favourite movies is the 1954 classic Roman Holiday.  It is a charming story of Princess Ann, who on her European tour, breaks out of the Coliseum and tries to have some fun in Rome away from her Royal life and Royal responsibilities. Her night out takes on a different note when she meets Joe Bradley; an American news man played by the incredibly handsome Gregory Peck. Mr. Bradley conceals his identity and plays the gentlemen card while trying to scoop the story of the century spending time with her and finding out as much information about the Princess as possible. The spend the day together in Rome, have much fun, excitement, and of course some romance.
    Since I arrived in India I have felt like Princess Ann. Sick of being confined to certain duties and responsibilities, that come with Canadian privilege, most of which are self created/established. I flew the coup of Canada and came to India in search of some fun, excitement, and a little quality Stephanie time!
    I didn’t pass out at a fountain in Rome and get taken back home by Joe Bradley, but I did get picked up by a Rikshaw driver named Jamail who brought me to his hotel property. Where I am staying is a spacious hotel room, with private bath, a gorgeous view of the town and morning sunrise, a rooftop balcony that looks over the lake and all of the surrounding palaces. All this for just dollars a day ;)
    After the Princess initially leaves Joe Bradley on her way back to the Coliseum, she walks through a nearby market place to see the sights and lives of the people in Rome. Jamail took me to a local fruit and vegetable market the other morning. I took photo, after photo of the faces, the fruit, the colours, the lives that exist there. I was so enthralled with everything that I neglected to notice where I was walking. Until an Indian woman, who was sweeping the area that I was walking through yelled at me in Hindi, much to the laughter and enjoyment of those around.
    As Princess Ann meanders around Rome she stops to get some gelato at the base of a huge set of stairs. She sits on them enjoying the ice cream and enjoying . . . Rome. For the most part I have tried to have either Ice Cream, or lassi (a sweet yogurt drink, usually flavoured with fruit) everyday. Everyday that I have my ice cream, or lassi, I am just as happy as when I was enjoying it the day before! Truly marvellous J
    A bit later in the movie the Princes comes back into contact with Mr. Bradley. As they spend some time together at a sidewalk café, she meets Joe’s friend Irving, a fellow in the news biz. If India has shown me one thing it is that there is not a lack of people to meet. Everyday I meet new faces, shake a fresh set of hands, and am welcomed by a warm smile and a new friend J
    One of my the cutest scenes in the movie is of Joe and the Princess riding around Rome  on a motorbike. While at the same time Irving is driving around in a car ahead of them snapping photos of the Princess whenever she isn’t looking. On my first night in town after a beautiful sunset at a local garden, Jamail traded in his Rikshaw for his motorbike and I got to double all around Udaipur. This must have been one of my favourite memories so far. Udaipur at dusk is a stunning sight to see. Udaipur at dusk during Diwali is a million times better! Weaving through the city; fireworks going off everywhere, strings of glittered garlands strung overhead, women at the side of every street stringing orange and yellow marigolds into more garlands and wreaths with which to decorate . . . everything. Weaving in and out of it all. I was in heaven. It couldn’t have been more perfect, more charming, more Indian.
    This has been my experience thus far. I am still missing the part when the Princess goes dancing at the river where the big brawl breaks out among secret service agents. That being said there is always the electronic music festival in Goa at Christmas time. Hopefully it wont be anything too dangerous. I am also missing my dear Gregory Peck, probably the most handsome man, in my opinion, that graced the face of the planet. I suppose instead of a 6‘7, white man with incredibly broad shoulders, a superman jaw line, and a deep, sexy voice I have a 5’2, brown, Muslim man, with a Rikshaw, and a motorbike who is named Jamail. I am sure it all balances out ;)

1 comment:

  1. You had been lucky to get a good person as a guide and that you returned unhurt and alive!

    It is one thing to watch a movie and a totally different to roam about in an unknown city with an unknown person.

    Though I agree that Udaipur, Jaipur, Goa are beautiful places like many many others in India, days are bad, and untoward incidents have taken place, even in the places you have mentioned.

    I don't intend to take away the joy and moments of cherish you have had, though my friendly suggestion would be not to resort to such adventure ever again. It is not likely that all the while you will meet good people.

    Regarding the film Roman Holiday, I rate it at NUMBER ONE of all the movies I have ever seen!

    Have a good day Stephanie and enjoy life, take care.

    Shrikant.

    ReplyDelete