Wednesday, November 21, 2012

A Temple, a Palace, and a ladoo

    I just had the BEST ladoo and samosa of my life!!! Lets review the day: I met up with a travelling companion to have some breakfast. I chose a restaurant in the neighbourhood which specialized in local, organic, and healthy meals. This included vegan and gluten free options, great for me. In speaking with the part-owner it is his aim to provide sustainable options to tourists. For example millet. A grain full of nutrition, not mono cropped, and which uses a fraction of the water rice and wheat do! Incredible! Hence the title of the restaurant Millets of Mewar. I had an excellent ladoo here the day before with raisins . .. Mmmmmm.
    After this it was off the Jagdish temple, which was beautiful. The architecture INCREDIBLE!! When we left the temple we were approached by a lady and her 12 year old daughter. They invited us to their humble home for a cup of chai. The daughter knew a little English and the Mother much more. I must admit as we walked to their home I became increasingly more suspicious as there was no one on the streets leading up to their home, and we seemed to be getting further and further from anything recognizable. It turned out well enough. We were invited into their one bedroom home where the four of them sleep at night. The mother was very keen on educating her children; a daughter and a son. She had a notebook in which travellers write down messages for the kids to practice reading. In addition to having a full time job this mother also sold puppets from their home. Her goal was to send both her kids to the university in London, England. Her daughter to be a doctor and her son in central intelligence. The American CIA. Amazing goals!
    We left there after a lovely dinner invitation to go to the City Palace. One of the main tourist attractions in the area. It was insanely crowded. For the 10 days after Diwali most Indians go on vacation around the country, which means everywhere is CROWDED. The entrance fee was more than I had anticipated and again there was a substantial fee to bring my camera in. I thought I could get away without paying the camera fee, so I put my camera in my side bag and hoped no one would notice.
    Once inside the line-ups were HUGE! People were buzzing about everywhere. It was early afternoon so it was hot and sticky. There were also metal detectors and a bag search before you entered the palace proper. So I turned around and left. I figured an afternoon nap, some water, and shade would do me far better than sightseeing at the present moment.
    I went back a few hours later and to be perfectly honest the City Palace really wasn’t that great. It looks a lot better from the outside. Even though it was close to close the lines were still very long, it was still hot and sticky, and people were pushy! I zipped through the entire palace in about 30 minutes. The audio tour is an hour and a half! Hahahahha, clearly this wasn’t of great interest to me. I walked back to my side of town; over the bridge. I stopped into Millets of Mewar and filled up my water bottle for 5 Rupees as opposed to buying a new bottle for 15 or 20. Then sauntered down a newly discovered road to get some fruit. It was here that I stumbled upon the most delicious looking samosas! So I caved and bought . . . Two. I had one there and brought one back to my hotel with me. I also tried a piece of their barfi, which I wasn’t too impressed with, being a barfi connoisseur and all ;) As I went to pay the owner said “ladoo“, and quickly went into his display to get me a ladoo. Oh my goodness!!! Absolutely INCREDIBLE! It was denser than the ones I am used to. But the flavour was supreme! I could have eaten many more, but I stopped myself. Oh man!!! If I could make ladoo that delicious everyday it would all be over!!!
    If life couldn’t get any better I went and bought some fresh almonds, pistachios and dried figs. Amazing I am really liking and my neighbourhood, and getting to know it very well J

No comments:

Post a Comment