Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Chocolate, banana, peanut butter pudding


    One of the amazing things about traveling is the people you get to meet. Particularly in India it is easy to meet people. As a white woman I most definitely stand out in a crowd. If not only due to the different dress and style I have, but also the fact that every local Indian’s head will turn towards you and watch you at any given moment. Anywho, lots of people, and always meeting people!
    One morning I decided to venture out and away from my usual breakfast haunts and try somewhere new. I had seen a French bakery/café on the other side of the lake and wanted to go and get a proper coffee this one morning. When I arrived all of the tables were occupied. I perused the menu as I waited for a table.  One of the men working there came over and suggested that I have a seat in the back, courtyard area. He led me there and one seat was available at a table, where a woman was sitting having her breakfast. I had wanted to a seat in the front, by myself. I hummed over it a little, went back to the front to check to see if anyone had vacated their table, they hadn’t. So I went back to the courtyard and asked if I could share the table with the young woman that was sitting there. Best decision ever!!!
    The young lady’s name was Autumn and she was from Israel. Apparently many young Israeli’s travel to India after high school and after their time in the army. We sat together, had cappuccino, talked about Canada, Israel, the army, tree planting; life in general. It was fabulous. The most remarkable thing about our conversation was how open and candid it was. Because we were in India, because we were perfect strangers, and because there were absolutely no pretenses, false or otherwise we were able to have an incredibly genuine and enriching conversation. So amazing!
    One thing I learned about myself from our conversation that morning, well actually two things; 1) how much I absolutely LOVE Canada, and 2) how much I love tree planting. I could have gushed about those two topics all day long.
    Breakfast with Autumn was not only delightful but so enjoyable that we decided to meet again, the next day for coffee. Even though we only had a few days together morning coffee became a bit of a ritual. Every morning around 10am we would meet and have fantastic conversation and just share about life. I think it is safe to say that we just adore each other. It was definitely the highlight of my day, even though it rivaled milking the cows ;)
    On Saturday we met at a new café, Jheel’s, which Autumn raved about. it’s a good place to rave about. Not only do they have proper espresso’s, Americano’s, and lattes, but they have specialty coffees as well, such as Hazelnut or caramel flavored coffee, and chocolate bar shakes!!! Yes, you read it correctly! I haven’t had the gumption to order a chocolate bar shake just yet, but I did try a sip of Autumn’s toblerone shake; delicious J On top of Jheel’s fabulous coffees and shakes, it is also a rooftop restaurant/café, so you get a beautiful view of the city. What more is that now that I am a regular the main server, Rhuba, brings me free chai after free chai! Yesterday he even passed me a small plate of onion baji’s, Mmmmmm J To top it all off Rhuba, a very sweet man, has the most bad-ass mustache I have seen. Pretty darn sweet [ not to make anyone jealous or threatened ;)]
    Saturday was Autumn’s last day in Udaipur so we made a day of it. After coffee and breakfast we went on a boat tour around Lake Pichola; the main lake that all the hotels and tourism is based around. It was a nice afternoon activity. We also did some local shopping, I bought myself a nice, new blouse, for very cheap.
    As we couldn’t bear saying our goodbye’s then Autumn and I decided to meet up at my favorite restaurant Millets of Mewar for a last supper. That evening over chocolate, banana, and peanut butter pudding we had our last moments together. It was hilarious how sentimental we were over a three day friendship, ha ha ha ha J We are hoping to connect during December, when we are both in Goa.
    Thought it was important to mention a) how nice it is to step outside of our comfort zones b) venture out to visit and try new places and c) how great new friends and connections are. Thanks Autumn :D

No comments:

Post a Comment