Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Shake it up Rishikesh






    Here I am in Rishikesh. The city where the holy Ganges, or Ganga, River commences its route in India. Located at the foothills of  the Himalayas, Rishikesh became know internationally during the 60’s when the Beatles stayed here and, it is thought, wrote most of The White Album. Despite having a rock n’ roll reputation, it is also know to be a yogic centre within India. I would say that reputation is most definitely upheld! You cannot walk 5 feet without coming upon a yoga studio, a new age bookstore, hearing a recording of “om nama shiva om nama shiva. Om nama shiva om nama shiva”, or see at least 50 different posters for ayurvedic, reiki, and meditation courses. It is incredible and shocking to be in such a place. All of the stereotypes about Western travelers going to India on a spiritual journey is suddenly too true! I am ashamed to be supporting the stereotype as I do yoga, am interested in ayurveda, and have a, small, collection of new age readings. To make things worse I checked into an ashram!!!
    Upon my arrival I stayed at a hotel on the opposite side of the river, which was a bit more quiet, green, and away from the hustle and bustle of the main town area. This worked out well as I had to acclimatize. Rishikesh is incredibly COLD! In the evening the cool air comes down from the Himalayas and creates a strong wind. You would think that being from Canada and living in the Rocky Mountains I would be able to withstand this weather. Not the case! In my defence if I had come directly to Rishikesh from Canada it would have been a breeze! But I didn’t. I spent approximately three weeks in Udaipur, Rajasthan which is much warmer than Rishikesh. In addition most buildings in India are NOT insulated like they are in Canada. I am very thankful I brought my jacket, vest, hat, mittens, scarves, long johns, and sweaters. I have needed them! My time spent at the hotel allowed for an introduction to the weather of the Himalayas. The first night I slept in practically everything I had packed with me for India. Hahahahha. My body was also a little more sensitive after a night on the train with barely any sleep, which was also quite cold. My first few days also allowed me to orient myself in Rishikesh and get a feel for everything including the great Ganges River, or Mama Ganga!
    Then I checked into an Ashram, Parmarth Niketan Ashram to be exact. I have no idea of the history of the ashram but it definitely holds a distinct reputation in town. It is located in the centre of town and hosts a huge statue of one of the Hindu Gods, right at the front of the Ganga River. They hold a Hindu ceremony at the statue, in fron of the river, every evening.
    I am actually really enjoying being at the ashram. My reasons for checking in were threefold; 1) to have 3 meals prepared for me daily 2) to get free yoga and meditation classes, this happens twice daily, and doesn’t include the morning satsang, or morning prayers, which I have yet to rise for. Both occur before 6am! Lastly, I wanted a bit of a routine for my day so I could spend my free time writing and reading and taking care of Stephy. As it turns out these were all good reasons except for the food. Every meal of the day is spicy! I like spicy food, but for someone who typically has too much heat in their system on a regular basis, this doesn’t help. Now I go for the dinner meal only and make due for the other meals.
    In addition the ashram holds traditional Indian dance classes every afternoon!!! Hello dream come true. Stephy + India + Dance Classes= DREAM COME TRUE !!! This is exactly how I feel every class. It was during my first dance class that it suddenly dawned on me that I was living a dream. I have always loved to dance, always loved Indian dance and music, always wanted to go to India, and always wanted to learn Indian dance. There I was in the Yoga Hall, stomping on a cold marble floor when the reality hit me that I was, in fact, living a dream of mine. Amazingly profound!
    I spend my days going to yoga and dance class. Saying that I will go to the meditation but never making it. Chatting with fellow travellers and eating spicy dahl, and vegetable subji. I curl up at night in my lovely ashram room. This is not sarcasm as I really do like it. It is perfectly sized, has wonderful lighting, my own bathroom and a couch to sit and read on. I curl up with three blankets on my bed, and a hat on my head and I read, or write, say my prayers, then say goodnight!

No comments:

Post a Comment